Monday, October 06, 2008

Serangoon Gardens Residents' Unhappiness

"When news first broke that a disused school in Serangoon Gardens might be converted into a dormitory for foreign workers, about 1,400 of the 7,000 residents signed a petition to block such a move.

Many had raised concerns over traffic and security issues.

Minister for National Development Mah Bow Tan announced that measures will be taken to address these concerns.

For instance, only 600 foreign workers will be housed there, and the entrance to the dormitory along Burghley Drive will be closed except for emergency fire engine access.

In addition, a new access road will be built so that lorries or buses ferrying the workers can access the nearby CTE without driving through the landed property estate." - 938 LIVE

Not happy? Sign petition to protest.

"PLANS for a dormitory to house foreign workers in Serangoon Gardens will go ahead, despite unhappiness expressed earlier by some residents there." - Straits Times, 4 Oct 2008

See? Sign also no use..

"Most of the residents that Mrs Lim spoke to expressed security concerns.

Addressing this, she said the workers would come mainly from the manufacturing sector and not the construction industry as some had thought.

A new road stretching some 400 metres will be built to serve as the only access point for the dormitory, away from the Serangoon Gardens estate.

The road is connected to the Central Expressway and Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1.

However, this could raise concerns from a different set of residents - those living around Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1." -
Channel NewsAsia, 4 Oct 2008

Hmmm... So now the concern goes to the residents of AMK Ave 1.....

"The new access road shifts the dormitory entrance to Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, near Tai Hwan and Mei Hwan estates.

Eleanor Tan, Mei Hwan estate resident, said: "We only knew about the new road yesterday and that is a dangerous spot. I live exactly opposite the new road and I see accidents along the slip road." - Channel NewsAsia, 5 Oct 2008

From their reactions, [NO Offence]the first impression I had was that only people who are rich and educated knows how to protest. Actually, what is the SUPER BIG issue here? Security? Noise pollution? Traffic congestion? Then, people living in Boon Lay are more worse. Take a look at Boon Lay MRT station on a Sunday. Go for a walk at the Boon Lay Shopping Centre. Tons of foreign workers. We need to buy food, daily necessities and so do they.

Security: I used to reside at Boon Lay and I think it is relatively 'safe' around the neighborhood. Even though there is a police post (which does not operate beyond 9 or 10pm) opposite BL shopping centre, I think it is redundant. So far, I have not heard of any rape cases, robbery, etc for the 5 years I stayed at there.

Noise pollution: There are indeed some foreign workers at the void decks drinking and talking loudly in the middle of the night. Perhaps the government can try to 'educate' them about it? Or maybe like what some other foreign workers are doing as reported in the news... join-in the patrolling?

Traffic congestion: Everywhere also got congestion what... You pay EPR sometimes also congested, so.....??

I am not for or against this debate but I think sometimes we should try to compromise. Perhaps the foreign workers also dont like to live with us? They have to tolerate the discrimination from us and still continue to work for the sake of their families back in their countries. Not saying like I feel happy living near to them but there seems to be not much choice, right? Land in Singapore is so limited..


P/S: I think I should just take charge of the group assignments now since NO ONE wants to initiate something. Either they are lazy(no cure for that), dont know what to do(pray? maybe your prayers will be answer) or they think I should take charge(??) since I am the eldest among them. Perhaps history will repeat itself. Then I'll be like "what the f**k, get over and done with it."

Right, these are all just my assumptions. Maybe someone will do it. Maybe..... But as the deadline draws nearer, I can foresee myself.........

Whatever.

2 comments:

INVS 2.0 said...

These rich people have repelled me by their sickening attitude.

As the saying goes, courtesy of Wee Shu Min, "Elite Uncaring Face".

minz said...

i been living in Boon Lay for 20over years.... Though the sight of the foreigners all over the place really disgusted me, spreakly frankly other than the rude atttitude and behaviours, i had seldom hear of any crimes around the areas. i think maybe majority of the foreigners around the area is Msia and Indians, and they are much more discipline as compare to PRCs.