Thursday, June 03, 2010

Conversation With...

Last Saturday, King and I went to one of a newly-open (heard that it was opened one year ago) cafe for dinner. What attracted us to step in was that we saw their menu offering "Comtemporary Tokyo Cuisine" at an affordable price. By affordable, I mean the main dish was priced between $12 - $25 (on average).

No pictures of the dish was taken, but while we were there, one of the 'supervisor' took our orders wrongly. She kept apologising to us after she realised that she took the wrong order. While we assured her that we were fine with the wrong order, King started to strike a conversation with her.

King:"You can speak Japanese?" (we actually saw and heard her speaking Japanese to two Japanese tourists)

Supervisor:"Yes. Actually, I worked in Japan for the past 12 years."

King:"12 years?!? That was a long time."

Supervisor:"Well, I was working at a factory as a supervisor. After that, I return home (Philippine) and come out again to Singapore. They employed me because I can speak Japanese so that I can act as a translator to the Japanese tourists."

King:"No wonder you are able to speak Japanese.."

Supervisor:"Anyway, are you two Singaporeans?"

King:"Yes, of course we are Singaporeans. Why?"

Supervisor:"OH! Really? You know, because a lot of Singaporeans are very snobbish.. Sorry, I dont mean ALL but there are some who are really very snobbish. Please do not get offended.."

King:"No we're not. I have to agree that a lot of Singaporeans are quite snobbish.."

Supervisor:"Ya... you know, when you talk to them, they dont smile, they give a kind of look.. They just dont smile." "But you guys are different from the ones I've met. So I thought you are tourist or..."

Personally, I feel that it is interesting for a foreigner giving opinions on our locals. Or else, we are really like the 'frog in the well'.

I have to agree that SOME Singaporeans are very snobbish especially SOME of the rich people out there. They think they are mighty just because they can speak 'good' english and are richer than the average Joe.

As what Lin An Na from 97.2FM says: "新加坡人有教育, 没教养."

No comments: